Monday, November 21, 2011

Marcus Manchild - A New Face in Houston Rap


Marcus Manchild - A New Face in Houston Rap

  When you think about Houston when it relates to hip hop, a few names come to mind. You think of people like Scarface, Paul Wall, Chamillionaire, Trae, Slim Thug and legends like the Screwed Up Click to name a few. But what about new names? In the early 2000’s, Houston was a hot bed for hip hop. It seemed like the entire music industry was focused on everything coming out of the “city of syrup”. Song’s like “Still Tippin’” and “Sittin’ Sideways” ruled radio airwaves. Chamillionaire’s “Ridin’ Dirty” even took home a grammy award. Then there was calm. As quick as Houston rose to high visibility, it returned to obscurity. At least according to music industry standards. To Texans, the music and its legends have never stopped. But who are the new artists? Who’s next to bring Houston and Texas back to the forefront of the music industry. That conversations starts with Marcus Manchild.

  Marcus Manchild is a new rising star on the Houston scene. He has made an instant impact with songs like “Get Off Me (Drunk, Party, Pass Out)” and also by being a part of the “New Houston” movement. “New Houston is just a new age of young people that grew up and had older brothers or OG’s they looked up to and came up after them and sort of switched the style up” says Marcus. He also describes his style as being a blend of different artists, not just from Houston but other areas as well. “I grew up on Slim (Thug), Bun (B), Z-Ro, (Lil’) Keke, but I still listen to other artists around the country. So I took from the southern stuff and added everybody else from around the country to come up with my own uniqueness”. Being unique has paid off in many ways. One of those ways, being able to participate in The Smoker’s Club tour with Big K.R.I.T. and Method Man.

  Being on a big tour like The Smoker’s Club, I asked Marcus how he felt the south and Houston was being represented today in hip hop. “They (the south) bangin right now. Atlanta is going off. People in Houston too. And Miami” says Marcus. He further adds, “Anybody who’s from the south getting it in right now, I love them because we really was looked at as people who didn’t have hip hop in them. Except for dance songs and snap songs, but right now it feels different. The south, we’re here and we’re here to stay. Believe that.”

  We also got into the basis for his music. Are these just stories or life lesson’s that you get from Marcus Manchild’s music. “If they listen to me, they’re going to find out what I go through on a daily”. says Marcus. “Everything I’m talking about I have been through and lived through on a daily, so that’s the only reason I speak about it. I don’t know how to get out there and be lyrical, I just speak on what I do daily and it sounds good.”

  Expect to hear more from Marcus Manchild. He has a big single with Travis Porter and Big K.R.I.T. called “A Million” as well mixtape called “The Preseason 2” hosted by DJ Ill Will out now. You can follow him on twitter at @MarcusManchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your love/hate here: